Friday, December 28, 2012

Post Xmas 2012



 Xmas Dinner
 Nail through the finger gag that came in the crackers
 Santa's gifts
 Lian gets her makeup kit
 Grandpa actually gets a present

 Bucky Badger at the light show

The Capital Monona Terrace with the real Capital in the distance

After leaving my wallet at our lunch break at a McDonalds during our trip to WI and finding that our toothbrushes were still residing in NY, it wouldn’t get much worse, right? WRONG, monkey breath.

When I check my email and phone messages at the hotel that night, after contacting the McDonalds about my wallet - they had it, yippee! I find all sorts of urgent messages from sister and Dad - Mom is in hospital with flu. Take girls swimming in hotel pool as Jamie has forgotten his bathing suit. Send hom to get Chinese take out dinner. Not even making a pretense of healthy eating on this trip. Fairly uneventful drive the next day through Ohio, Ind, IL and WI, since girls have heads buried in portable DVD players they got as pre-xmas gifts. Feel like bad parents but enjoy lack of whining. FYI NY'ers the rest of the world enjoys gas at about $3.20 a gallon. It’s really cold and snowy once we get past Chicago – about 15 inches - we barely make it up my parents' driveway. We get settled in.
Xmas eve day - get up at 5am and wrap presents for 3 hours, since tossing them into large trash bags for the trip is all I could manage. Go out and grocery shop because Dad is not feeling good and there is no food in the house. Get Xmas dinner started. Visit mom at hospital. Go to 4pm family service at church where JP and I got married 21 years ago, very nice. Come back, finish dinner. Ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, broccoli, rolls, and desert; blueberry cobbler, pumpkin pie, cheesecake sampler with ice cream or whipped cream.  The cheesecake is to replace the one I was supposed to have for my birthday but someone left out of the freezer... in August, it was nasty.  I had sniffles but by the end of dinner have come down with a massive cold. The girls decide to use sharpies to write their names on the stockings. Mommy loses it then feels really bad. Santa goes to work even though “he” really, really wants to sleep for about 15 hours.  

Xmas day! Girls get up about 7am. Stocking opening takes a good half hour as Santa buys at the dollar aisle and forgets how much stuff is in the back of the closet. For the main event,  being largely unsupervised, the girls rip through their presents in record time. Lian says it is the “best Christmas EVER.” Piles of swag litter the floor. I go back to bed and sleep for 5 hours. Leftovers for lunch/dinner. Visit mom at hospital.

Wed I take the girls shopping since they have gift cards burning a hole in their pockets. Target, Old Navy, (grocery interlude) Toys R Us. I still don't have my wallet and thus driver's license. Drive VERY sedately. After dinner we take them to the light show put on every year by the Electrical Contractors and Electrical Union,  http://www.fantasyinlights.com/green.html

Thursday and my Dad is having trouble breathing, feeling really weak. Off to Urgent Care at 9:30am as his Dr. doesn’t have an appointment. Urgent Care decides to send him to Emergency since his O2 level is low. Dad is transported in ambulance I dash back to house to get phone charger as battery is running low and grab a bite to eat. Catch up with Dad in Emergency- which is really nice, with private rooms. He’s feeling a little better as he’s on O2 and lying down. Get call from Jamie that hospital wants to discharge my mom. Many phone calls latter, she is instead waiting to be discharged to a private room (because she may still be contagious with flu) in a nursing home, as there is no-one to discharge her to and she can’t get up on her walker in any case. Dad is admitted to hospital. Get him settled, go and check on mom. Go back to house, 9pm. Jamie calls me outside- there are two Great Horned Owls in the trees over the house, calling to each other. Take large dose of Nyquil, sleep an entire 7 hours. Dad calls at 6:45 am to make sure we feed his cat, but I am up anyway.

Ho Ho Ho

1 comment:

mumma to many said...

sounds far too hectic! :)

Mother's Day

Last spring while riding the train home from the city where I had just handed in the last of Lian's paperwork, I had nothing to do since I had gone through all my reading material while waiting at the Chinese Embassy. I got out a notepad and this poem started to flow and practically wrote itself. Adoption can be bittersweet as there is no gain without a loss.
http://www.emkpress.com/mothersday.html

Lian on left in yellow

Lian on left in yellow
about 14 months, with her friend Hailey

Lian at 6 months

Lian at 6 months
Who could resist that smile?

Lian at 4 months

Lian at 4 months
Right after surgery for her lip

Sha'anxi Province Map

Sha'anxi Province Map
HanZhong in lower left

China Map

China Map
Sha'anxi Province in center