Sunday, December 30, 2007

Miracles

Once we were waiting
for a child to call our own.
A baby to hold in our arms,
to make our house a home.

I dreamed of a little girl,
who was grinning up at me,
with a great big gap-toothed smile,
as wide as it could be.

It’s almost Christmas time.
We got an e-mail one day.
It said, "We’ve gotten your referral.
Pictures are on the way."

Then we got a little picture.
We’d be a mom and dad.
Our baby’s features were perfect,
But her eyes were oh so sad.

I worried would she love me?
Would I know how to love her?
At this late date I was afraid,
I wouldn’t be a good mother.











Then in a room in China,
I held my baby tight.
I felt my heart exploding,
So this was love at first sight.

Those sad eyes learned to sparkle,
Feet to run across the floor.
Our darling is growing older,
She’s not a baby anymore.

We thought we had love for more
than our family of three.
Another child might be waiting,
but where could she be?

I remembered the gap-toothed girl
I’d seen once in my dreams.
She might still be waiting.
There are miracles it seems.

This time we were looking
At special boys and girls.
Their bodies might not be perfect,
But each soul’s a gleaming pearl.

You might have to look harder,
sometimes that’s all it takes.
But even if you can’t see it,
God doesn’t make mistakes.

We got an e-mail about a little girl,
With chubby cheeks and a happy grin,
Maybe not my dream girl,
But this one pulled us in.

The e-mail said she was turning one,
Today was her birthday.
She needed a family,
could we make it a special day?

We said, "Yes we want her,
she is the perfect one."
We’d have her home for Christmas.
Her life had just begun.











Well the best-laid plans can go wrong,
Eighteen months have gone by,
We’re again in a room in China,
And suddenly she’s arrived

A little girl dressed in yellow
Scared and very shy,
I waited for my heart to leap,
Then we both began to cry.

Now again it’s Christmas.
We’re a family of four.
Since that day in China,
My heart’s grown a couple sizes more.

My husband took some pictures
of our girls beside the tree.
I’m putting them on the computer,
and what did I see?

A little girl with a gap-toothed grin
was smiling up at me.
It seems some miracles are to close,
For us to truly see.













So I learned a lesson,
that love can never fail.
We’re surrounded by miracles and angels,
and God can use e-mail!

Strange but true. I "saw" this picture almost 4 years ago, but until now I didn't see that it was Lian. I think we are surrounded by miracles and angels in disguise (who may not even know they are angels), we're just too busy with our daily lives to notice. Sometimes you have to smacked upside the head (HELLOOOO, God to Jennifer, WAKE UP!) to see what's right in front of you.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Hi Jennifer,
I'm a friend of Nancy's, with 2 girls from Vietnam. She sent your blog to us with the beautiful poem! Its really neat, huh, how God works those miracles! :)

I enjoyed reading your blog!

Take care,
Sherri

Anonymous said...

Hello,
what a beautiful girls you have there :) I enjoyed reading your blogs and I went back till the very beginning of your paperchase. I´m waiting to go to China to get my little boy, he will probably be around 24 months. I´m looking forward to reading more about your family.
Best regards
Birna Iceland
www.barnaland.is/barn/1060
and the password to the site is brekka

Mother's Day

Last spring while riding the train home from the city where I had just handed in the last of Lian's paperwork, I had nothing to do since I had gone through all my reading material while waiting at the Chinese Embassy. I got out a notepad and this poem started to flow and practically wrote itself. Adoption can be bittersweet as there is no gain without a loss.
http://www.emkpress.com/mothersday.html

Lian on left in yellow

Lian on left in yellow
about 14 months, with her friend Hailey

Lian at 6 months

Lian at 6 months
Who could resist that smile?

Lian at 4 months

Lian at 4 months
Right after surgery for her lip

Sha'anxi Province Map

Sha'anxi Province Map
HanZhong in lower left

China Map

China Map
Sha'anxi Province in center